Tasks gives you the ability to automatically block time for anything before it's due. Rather than you trying to block time for things manually and having to move them around when they're interrupted by schedule conflicts, Reclaim will just find the time and block it for you.
If you want to really dive deep into Tasks without reading the docs, we recommend watching this short video to get a sense of how the feature works:
Getting started with Tasks
To get started with Tasks, sign in to your Reclaim account and click on the Tasks section of the lefthand nav bar:
When you click on Tasks, you'll see this screen:
If you don't see this screen, you may still need to opt-in to the Tasks beta. Click the button to opt-in and your account will be activated for Tasks.
Click "+ New Task" to start adding your first task to your calendar!
What's in a Task?
Reclaim only needs a few pieces of information to book your Tasks:
- Task name: the name of the task that you're going to work on. This will be used as the event's title on your calendar.
- Task type: Reclaim has two types of tasks -- Work and Personal. Work tasks will only be booked during your Working Hours, and Personal tasks will be booked during the same hours as your Working Hours, but for all days instead of just working days.
- Time needed: this is the total number of hours you need to complete the task. Reclaim will automatically break up tasks into different events on your calendar, so feel free to enter as much time as you need here. Tasks are always a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Due date: this is the date by which the task needs to be scheduled on your calendar.
- Notes (optional): you can add optional notes to the task. This will be added to any events created for the task.
Reclaim has more options for your tasks when you click Show Advanced options at the bottom of the Task creation UI:
With these options, you can modify additional aspects of your Task, including:
- Earliest starting date: if you don't want to start on a task before a certain date, you can tell Reclaim not to schedule time before a certain date. By default, Reclaim will assign this start date for you depending on the due date you select.
- Event color: you can assign a custom color to the events Reclaim creates on your calendar for the task.
- Minimum event length: sometimes you may have tasks that you never want to spend less than a certain amount of time on. For example, if you want to spent 8 hours total on a task called "Write strategy document" and never want to have less than 2 hours scheduled, you'd set this to 2 hours. The default is 1 hour.
- Privacy: by default, Reclaim won't show your task details to anyone on your calendar and will mark the events as private. You can change the privacy to public, which will show the task's details on your calendar to others when the task is marked as busy.
Once you've finished creating your task, click Save to capture the task and let Reclaim schedule it on your calendar. These events, called Task Events, are flexible and adaptive, balancing keeping your schedule free for other meetings while defending your time when you're at risk of missing your due dates.
We recommend you take a moment to read about some of the important concepts in Tasks. You can also explore the Tasks / Slack integration as well as the Google Tasks integration -- we recommend activating both!